Headshot Do’s and Don’ts
By Annie Watson
January 24, 2019
Your headshot is the very first impression you make on a client – so you want them to be excellent. Your headshot works for you 24/7/365. It works overtime on your business cards, websites, marketing materials, brochures, and social media profiles. You want everyone to see you in the best light possible.
What makes a good headshot?
- Good lighting.
- A well thought out wardrobe.
- Professional hair and makeup.
- Confident and approachable poses.
Why Hire a Professional?
You should hire a professional photographer who can coach you on posing, to capture you at the best angles for your body type and face shape. One who knows how to create spectacular lighting and is an expert in retouching.
- Hire a professional photographer
- Discuss with your photographer the type of look that you want to achieve.
- Go over wardrobe options.
- For women, I recommend professional hair and makeup stylists to get you ready for the shoot.
- For men, make sure that you have a good haircut and that all of your facial hair is perfectly trimmed.
- Use a current photo that represents how you look today.
Variety is the spice of life! Bring a variety of shirts, jackets, and tops to ensure that you have many different types of looks in your final photos. Make sure that your pants coordinate with the tops you bring. Women may want to bring jewelry, scarves and accessories.
- Do not use a selfie for a headshot.
- Do not use a blurry photo.
- Do not use a photo of you at a party, or looking slightly buzzed.
- Do not use a photo that has terrible lighting.
- Do not cut someone else out of the photo and use it as a headshot.
- Do not leave your avatars blank. There is nothing shadier than someone who isn’t willing to put a face to their name.
- Do not post a photo where the color is so bad you look like a lobster, lemon, or lime. It’s just not a good look!
- Do not use an old photo.
Let’s get that headshot to work for you.
Annie Watson Photography is Naples’ best headshot photography company. Annie is trained in lighting, composition, and will coach you throughout the entire photo session on how to pose, to ensure that you look fabulous and professional.
Book your appointment today.